Tips for Success
It’s so exciting being able to welcome you all back to the start of a new year. There is a sense of excitement in the air as we look forward to 2024 and what it holds for us. Teachers are enthusiastically setting up their rooms in readiness for learning to happen. I’m sure you’re all looking forward to seeing your children grow in their learning this year too.
The first few weeks of a new school year can be daunting, and for some of you, this is your first time as the parent of a school child. It’s an exciting journey you are beginning.
Here are a few ways that you can help the year start, and continue, successfully for you and your child:
- Communicate – we value open communication between home and school. If you have any queries, your first task would be to connect with your child’s homeroom teacher. This can be done via email, diary or a phone call to the office who will then get a message to the appropriate staff member. During the day, our staff are dedicated to their teaching and learning, and their aim will be to respond to you within a 24-hour period if you have made a phone call or sent an email.
- Labelling items – naming all items of clothing, bags, lunch boxes and drink bottles will ensure that any lost items can be returned to your child promptly.
- Newsletters – reading newsletters ensures that you are up to date with current college happenings. It includes upcoming events, a message from Mr Gleeson, the focus in Primary and events worthy of celebrating. These will appear in your email inbox fortnightly and will keep you informed of all upcoming calendar events as well.
- Independence – children thrive when they are given the chance to be independent. You are teaching them a valuable skill as they grow. You can do this by saying good-bye to them at the gate each morning, letting them carry their own bag and encouraging them to talk to their teacher if they are having any problems at school.
- College Handbook – taking the time to read this document will provide a lot of information on uniform, curriculum, behaviour management and more. You will find this on our website by clicking the link here.
You will already have the email details of your child’s homeroom teacher. Here is a reminder of your child’s coordinator as well:
- Prep to Year 2 – Mrs Jade Doherty – [email protected]
- Years 3 and 4 – Ms Terri Naude – [email protected]
- Years 5 and 6 – Mrs Lauren Muslayah – [email protected]
We are looking forward to working alongside you and are happy to help answer any queries you might have.
Jodie Vamplew, Head of Primary.